The Office of the Chief Economist (“OCE”) consists of a team of around 20 economists, economic analysts, and support staff. It contributes to the operational, policy and strategy work of the Bank and provides intellectual leadership on the development of well-functioning market economies in the EBRD’s region of operation, which comprises countries in Emerging Europe and Central Asia, Mongolia, as well as some economies in North Africa. OCE also initiates and participates in Bank policy initiatives, supports the Bank’s operations by monitoring macroeconomic developments and risks, undertakes economic research, and publishes the EBRD’s Transition Report and Regional Economic Prospects and other research-based papers and reports.
The Office of the Chief Economist wishes to recruit an Economic Analyst. The analyst will be based in London Headquarters.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Maintain and further develop economic analysis and economic forecasting models for the EBRD regions
- Monitor and analyse the macroeconomic performance of EBRD countries of operations in the context of global economic trends
- Maintain the department’s databases of various macroeconomic, social and structural indicators
- Draft contributions for the department’s regular publications, including the Transition Report, the flagship annual publication of EBRD; and the Regional Economic Prospects
- Prepare regular growth forecasts and long-term macroeconomic scenarios for the EBRD regions as a whole
- Prepare presentations to be delivered in the Bank and to outside audiences
- Occasionally represent the Bank at policy and research forums
- Conduct theoretical and / or empirical research on economic issues of interest to the Bank
Essential Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Strong analytical background in economics
- Master’s degree in economics or equivalent from a leading university or Bachelor’s degree and several years of relevant experience in the field
- Research or work experience in an area of interest to the Bank, including macroeconomics, international economics, political economy, economics of development or financial economics
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- Experience of working with economic datasets and knowledge of mathematical and statistical software packages would be an advantage
Competencies & Personal Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in teams
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Able to operate with independent initiative
- Ability to operate sensitively and effectively in a multicultural environment
This job description is not limited to the responsibilities listed and the incumbent may be requested to perform other relevant duties as required by business needs.
This position is advertised as a two-year fixed-term contract in first instance.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people's lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.