Local Unit & Position Description
DNV's Energy Markets and Strategy team in Germany is looking for an economic consultant to further grow our team and strengthen our capabilities in the field of economics and regulation.
DNV's Energy Markets and Strategy (EMS) team in Germany provides strategic, regulatory, economic and policy advisory services related to current and future energy markets and energy technologies to support our customers with new and sustainable business models and strategies. We work with leading investors, project developers, generators/utilities, network operators, industrials, regulators and policy makers, providing services in the following areas:
- economic and commercial analysis of energy markets
- economic regulation and tariff setting
- energy market design and auction design
- market and system integration of renewable energies
- assessment and valuation of energy infrastructure investments and business models
- strategic and commercial advice on emerging energy technologies, future energy systems and market developments
- commercial and regulatory due diligence (transaction support)
DNV's EMS team also utilises a comprehensive suite of state-of-the-art tools and models, including our own European Power Market Model, which allow for combined market and network simulations and power price forecasting, supporting clients with investment decision analysis, asset valuation and risk assessments.
The Energy Markets and Strategy team in Germany is currently growing to 15 consultants. As part of this growth, we are looking for a candidate with a good knowledge on the economics and regulation of the energy sector, who can take an active role in the delivery of our project work in this area.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As a “Consultant - Economics and Regulation”, you will:
- Support project work with a focus on the economic regulation of electricity and gas networks, tariff design, energy policy, sector restructuring, investment appraisal, economic and financial valuation, strategic and transactional advice (regulatory/commercial due diligence)
- Handle the independent delivery of project tasks or work packages for customers in the D-A-CH countries (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) and internationally as part of a project team with the opportunity to quickly take on additional project responsibilities
- Support the acquisition of new projects including the preparation of winning proposals and meetings with customers
- Support the preparation and delivery of project reports and take an active role in the presentation of the project results to our customers
- Support the continuous development and expansion of our international services in the field of economics and regulation
- Master's degree or PhD with major in Economics, Business Administration Finance, Accounting or Business Engineering with a specialization in energy and/or regulatory economics
- A good understanding of energy markets and their regulatory framework
- Practical experience gained in consulting, or in relevant positions at an energy sector company, research institute, association, think tank, and/or (inter) governmental agency is highly valued
- Good quantitative and qualitative analytical skills and problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- An effective communicator and constructive team player with a “can do” mentality
- Positive and proactive attitude, with a result and solution-oriented mindset, and the initiative to pursue new business opportunities
- Excellent English language skills (written and spoken); additional language skills are a bonus
Join us and you will:
- Work with great colleagues in diverse project teams, who value teamwork and an open, respectful and cooperative working atmosphere
- Be part of a local team in a world-leading company that has a global reach with more than 12,000 employees around the world
- Join a team with diverse backgrounds and a mix of very experienced experts and young enthusiastic talents
- Have an exciting and attractive international working environment with a high degree of individual responsibility which you can actively shape
- A role that will put you in the forefront of the global energy transition through involvement in all kinds of front-running, innovative and early phase projects
- Be exposed to exciting, challenging and diverse customer projects, both national and international
- Attractive total compensation package, incl. profit share and an employer-supported pension
- Benefit from attractive, individual training and development opportunities and a strong company culture with an emphasis on competence development
- Flexible working hours, a flexible combination of office and home office work and a focus on work/life balance
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is an independent global consulting and risk management company, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise, we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
Our 4,200 experts in Energy Systems provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.
The EMS team located in Germany is part of the EMS department in the region Northern Europe consisting of 95 consultants located in 6 countries: Netherlands, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Sweden and Denmark. We work closely together across our department as well as with similar teams located in other European countries, the Middle East, Asia and the Americas and combine our deep economic expertise with the strong and broad engineering expertise of DNV in the energy sector. Besides the activities in the D-A-CH countries, the EMS team located in Germany also supports energy sector stakeholders across Europe and around the globe (including projects in developing and transition countries).