Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
Celgene, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bristol Myers Squibb is looking for a HEOR Lead to join the team.
Under the direction of the Head of Health Economics and Outcomes Research, this individual will be an integral part of the Market Access and External Affairs (MAEA) team responsible for supporting disease areas in haematology, oncology, cardiovascular and/or Inflammatory & Immunology (I&I).
The role of the HEOR Lead will be to develop and implement robust market access strategies and HTA submissions that enable timely reimbursement of BMS medicines, whilst generating the necessary supportive local evidence to support differentiated and sustainable clinical, economic, humanistic and real-world value propositions.
They will be a strong first line manager, with full first line management responsibility for the Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) Managers / Senior Managers within their allocated team.
They will also be a strong leader capable of supporting, coaching and mentoring other members of the wider HEOR team, being an integral part of the HEOR and RWE leadership team.
The HEOR Lead will be expected to deliver successful reimbursements submissions to the meet HTA requirements at the National Level as well as ensuring their team are successful in developing and implementing payer tools for value demonstration at a regional / hospital level for use by field-based, externally facing BMS employees.
A skilled and expert communicator, the HEOR lead will have the capability to distill complex, technical information into readily understood messages and have good commercial awareness and leadership capability.
Taking initiative working proactively and cross-functionally, providing innovative solutions to problems and gaining stakeholder endorsement of these solutions.
The HEOR Lead will also have a strong interest in anticipating and shaping the wider environment for HTA and reimbursement policy development.
They will have long-standing and trusted relationships with key HTA bodies and influencers already established.
Role and Responsibilities
- Leadership on specific Health Technology Appraisal (HTA) submissions for BMS products in the UK and Ireland in close cooperation with Medical and Marketing colleagues within the affiliate and Market Access colleagues in the Global Region.
- Individual team leadership and close support and collaboration on their own HTA submissions, providing guidance, coaching and direction throughout the process.
- Manage and develop HEOR team members, and ensure effective recruitment, training, evaluation, motivation, incentives, compensation and performance management for their HEOR team.
- Strong collaboration with clinical, medical and marketing stakeholders across the business units in a matrix organisation.
- Strategic forward planning for new indications for existing products as well as new products in the early pipeline both in the context of optimizing local, European and global revenues as well as providing expert input into global clinical trial designs, local investigator initiated studies, support to early scientific advice interactions, development of local payer evidence plans, early modelling activities to inform likely value-based pricing strategies, development of patient access schemes (if appropriate), organization of local payer / clinical advisory board meetings and contracting with external consultancies to support the development of the HTA submissions.
- Manage external HTA consultant/agency relations in terms of driving performance to time and budget and ensuring high quality deliverables
- Represent BMS at high-level industry forums and update colleagues within the affiliate in a timely manner.
- Support the Marketing strategies of BMS medicines through an understanding of the critical importance of both national (i.e. HTA) and local (i.e. CCG) Market Access for business success through the development of field-based tools that support the economic value proposition of BMS’s medicines.
- A robust understanding of global drug development and clinical trial design so that the feedback into the global evidence generation strategies for pipeline products is considered, impactful and enhances both the global and local value propositions – enabling BMS to develop differentiated medicines that meet the needs of patients, prescribers, payers and policy makers.
- Support budget management of department and act as a custodian for BMS’s resources when externally commissioning projects and services to vendors.
- Best practice sharing within the HEOR team as well as across affiliates as required.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Multiyear experience in the UK pharmaceutical industry
- Post-graduate qualification in health economics, and/or health policy
- Preferably, proven first line management
- Experience of leading positive HTA submissions that have resulted in patient access within the UK/Ireland.
- Strong numerical skills with experience of leading on health economics modelling
- Demonstrated process and technical expertise in UK and Ireland reimbursement processes
- Strong social style and behavioural skills and a representative appearance are essential
- Is a very good internal and external communicator
- Has experience working with reimbursement stakeholders
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven project management skills
- Proven mentorship/coaching skills
- Ability to think strategically and devise innovative market access and pricing strategies that have face validity from both a clinical, economic, humanistic and ethical perspective
- Strong influencing skills across different stakeholder groups that enable timely support of proposed market access and pricing strategies so that the time to reimbursement of BMS’s medicines can be minimised
- Good commercial awareness and ability to anticipate the likely challenges faced by field-based affiliate colleagues and develop innovative solutions to address these challenges in the form of budget impact models etc.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Is a very good internal and external communicator
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.