We are seeking an outstanding economist with professional experience in government policy and economic regulation.
Benefits include working with a dynamic, motivated and diverse team, a bonus scheme, a pension package, flexible working and a healthy work / life balance, together with wellbeing support.
This is a unique opportunity to support senior business leaders — including board members and C-suite executives — on complex and cutting-edge regulatory issues and government policy.
As a Principal Economist, you will have regular client contact, and be expected to engage effectively with senior decision makers and their commercial objectives, whilst working collaboratively with other expert advisors.
You will also help us identify and win client work, and — like all members of our team — contribute to the wider development of the business, including our culture and commercial strategy.
What it’s like to work at Fingleton
- We have a flat structure and are a small team of experienced people. As a result, you will generally have a significant degree of autonomy.
- Your work will be varied and stimulating. You will work collaboratively and across disciplines to deliver distinctive insights for business leaders.
- You will typically provide advice live in meetings, or via short notes rather than producing long, technical reports.
We aspire to be the regulatory advisor of choice for CEOs and their executive teams. We help anticipate and address novel or complex regulatory problems critical to the continuing success of businesses. Our clients describe us as providing next-level insights that help them achieve their desired regulatory outcomes across mergers and acquisitions, regulatory investigations and appeals, and other instances of regulatory change. We have grown significantly in recent years and we expect this growth to continue.
Our team comprises experts from diverse backgrounds such as regulatory bodies, industry, government, law firms, and economic consultancies. This diversity of expertise and experience, combined with our commitment to independent thinking, enables us to offer a differentiated and strategic perspective — helping our clients anticipate and mitigate regulatory challenges, and engage constructively with regulators and policymakers. We focus on being agile in how we work with clients, with an emphasis on clear and impactful advice.
We are a vibrant team and aim to balance intellectual rigour and attention to detail with curiosity and a friendly and supportive culture. We have a hybrid work model (working from our Central London office and from home). We also have a presence — and clients — in Australia.
Skills and Experience
- Significant post-qualification experience working on government policy with expertise in economic regulation including:
- experience working inside UK Government;
- developing draft legislation / policy position papers for economic regulation;
- economic regulation in one or more of the following areas;
- competition and consumer protection;
- payments and financial services;
- regulated utilities.
- Excellent ability to apply economics to business problems.
- Excellent analytical and strategic abilities.
- Ability to independently drive activity and cope with ambiguity.
- We welcome people with a preference for either full-time working or part-time working.
- We are open to hiring from private practice, government, in-house and regulators.
How to Apply
If you are interested in the role, please make an application.
Fingleton recognises the value — both for individuals and our business — in having a diverse team. One of our founding principles is that ideas and advice are improved by applying a diverse set of experiences and perspectives. And we are committed to delivering an equality of opportunity and experience to anybody who applies to work at Fingleton and to those who go on to become part of our team.