At Google DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
This is an opportunity to join an outstanding team of people in a mission-driven company. As Google DeepMind continues to grow, we are now seeking a highly talented and hardworking individual to join our Policy & Public Engagement team.
You’ll need proven experience of technology policy development and stakeholder management and will be encouraged to make a meaningful contribution to our policy strategy in the UK and beyond. We are looking for someone who is motivated by the opportunity to contribute to a policy environment that supports our efforts to use our technologies for widespread public benefit and scientific discovery.
Artificial Intelligence could be one of humanity’s most useful inventions. At Google DeepMind, we’re a team of scientists, engineers, machine learning experts and more, working together to advance the state of the art in artificial intelligence. We use our technologies for widespread public benefit and scientific discovery, and collaborate with others on critical challenges, ensuring safety and ethics are the highest priority.
We’ve built a supportive and inclusive environment where collaboration is encouraged and learning is shared freely. We constantly iterate on our workplace experience with the goal of ensuring it encourages a balanced life. From excellent office facilities through to extensive manager support, we strive to support our people and their needs as effectively as possible. Our list of benefits is extensive, and we’re happy to discuss this further throughout the interview process.
The role requires experience working in policy development and stakeholder management, as well as a background in emerging technology or science policy. Ideally, you’ll have knowledge of how to build a regulated environment, organise political movements and campaigns, and work closely with critical external partners across various countries and regions. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are critical, as is a genuine interest in the societal implications of advanced technologies. The role will be based in Google DeepMind’s offices in London.
- Support the development and implementation of our international policy and public engagement strategy.
- Build and maintain relationships with governments and the wider policy community across multiple countries, representing Google DeepMind in external meetings and industry forums.
- Draft insightful and compelling policy submissions, briefings and papers.
- Identify and share insights into relevant emerging political and policy trends, helping to anticipate issues, risks and opportunities.
- Working with external stakeholders to build programs and campaigns on key policy issues.
- Support senior executives’ policy engagement and advise internal teams on the policy implications of our work.
- Contribute to the development of DeepMind’s positions on emerging and relevant public policy issues, working closely with our outstanding technical teams and researchers.
- Relevant experience working in policy development and / or research.
- Strong grasp of science and technology policy and dedication to working towards policy solutions that benefit society
- Ability to quickly assimilate complex issues across multiple areas, including technical and regulatory issues, and distill and communicate them effectively.
- Excellent communicator, able to influence a variety of audiences, in person and in writing.
- Experience in building and handling stakeholder relationships - track record of working collaboratively towards common goals.
- Experience executing international strategies and working with policy communities in different countries, particularly the UK, US, and Europe.
- Highly organised, strategic thinker with the ability to balance complex and challenging demands
- Proactive teammate with the ability to exercise good judgement (and humour) in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent work ethic and desire to achieve.
- Eager to learn about and impact policy environments with which you may not already be familiar.
- Willing to travel internationally.
- Powerful curiosity that keeps you ahead on policy debates and issues.
- Passionate about making a commitment and contribution to Google DeepMind.
- Experience in government, consultancy, an international organisation, academic institution, or think tank.
- Experience of or good working knowledge of AI policy issues and the overall AI landscape (people and organisations).
- Experience in investigating, negotiating and publishing emerging technology policy thinking or other, relevant material.