The Centre for Economics and Business Research (Cebr) has exciting openings for graduate economists and for senior economists with some consultancy or professional experience.
Cebr is located in bustling EC1V, the heart of London’s digital ‘Flat White’ economy. Our consultant economists work across a wide range of macroeconomic and microeconomic fields serving Government departments, multi-national companies and trade and professional organisations.
We control a huge variety of work for 150 big name clients, giving consultants the opportunity to use economic expertise directly to inform real world large scale business and policy decisions. Cebr economists have direct early face to face contact with corporate and government clients and are encouraged to build up significant profiles in television radio and print media.
Can you think originally and creatively while using economics to solve clients’ questions? If so, come join a friendly and supportive team of academically gifted professional consultants using theoretical economics to influence policy and inform business decisions.
All candidates will need:
- A sound academic background: Master’s or 1st class Bachelor’s degree in economics or a related subject
- Knowledge of macroeconomics and microeconomics and econometrics
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain economic concepts and quantitative results, as well as their implications, to non-specialists, including the ability to write easy-to-read reports for a business audience
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English
- Attention to detail and commitment to going the extra mile to deliver robust, accurate work that stands up to scrutiny, within the constraints of available time and resources.
- To be proactive, curious and willing to take the initiative in hunting down data and learning from previous projects and experiences.
- Proficiency in Excel.
Additional desirable strengths would be:
- Experience with quantitative analysis software such as Stata.
- Knowledge of DSGE modelling
- And for Senior Economists in particular: experience of project management and business experience – either as an in-house economist or working in another consultancy, think tank, bank or Government department.
These jobs provide ample opportunity to use your econometric and data analysis skills.
In addition, the responsibilities of the Senior Economist roles include five broad elements:
- Technical / professional: delivering our products using technical skills, expertise and experience. Senior economists are expected to have:
- Substantial competence in quantitative economic analysis using a variety of data;
- A track record of successful quantitative project work and report-writing;
- Ability to manipulate large datasets (hence need for proficiency with Excel).
- Project management: through planning, diary management, monitoring and control, ensuring projects are delivered on time and to budget. Senior economists are expected to:
- Provide day-to-day management of projects
- Develop resource and time plans and agree with client and project director
- Deliver on plans to time and budget, coordinating the input of others in the team
- Report problems promptly and work constructively to overcome them.
- Work with senior colleagues to write project reports and presentations.
- Business development & client relationship-building: building ongoing client relations that ensure customer satisfaction, repeat business and bringing in new clients. Senior economists are expected to:
- Handle clients and potential clients effectively, responding promptly and positively to their enquiries and managing Cebr’s relationship with them.
- Work with senior colleagues to write research proposals.
- Generate, and help formulate and report business development ideas.
- Develop and implement business development strategy for different product lines.
- People management: managing, retaining, motivating, developing and appraising our team members. Senior economists are expected to:
- Mentor and coach economists and researchers
- Assist in the recruitment of researchers and economists
- Business management: securing the company’s long term future; delivering high quality independent research; meeting stakeholders’ expectations; efficiency & integrity. Senior economists are expected to:
- Conduct business in the best interests of Cebr
- Know when to escalate decision-making
To read more about us, see www.cebr.com
Please confirm whether you are entitled to work in UK.
The two levels of economist roles come with competitive salaries commensurate with experience and ability plus a generous bonus system, contributions to pension scheme and between 25 and 28 days annual holiday plus Bank Holidays dependent on professional experience.
Closing Date: 2nd June 2018
If you are interested in joining the team, please get in touch Send a CV and covering letter using the form on our website at https://cebr.com/about-cebr/join-the-team/
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://cebr.com/about-cebr/join-the-team/ →