The role-holder will act as an economist in the Macro Research team. He / she will research macroeconomic, political and regulatory developments and contribute to the development of a “house” view on the macroeconomic outlook, focusing on the US economy and the Federal Reserve in particular, propose investment strategies and ideas to the investment teams, communicate macroeconomic and market views externally and help to strengthen our investment culture and promote our brand.
- Research macroeconomic, policy and regulatory trends and developments in the United States of America.
- Work with other members of the Macro Research team to develop a “house” macroeconomic outlook
- Construct plausible risks around the central case view, identify key signposts and estimate plausible impacts.
- Debate and constructively challenge other team member views in order to build stronger conclusions.
- Actively participate in investment meetings, and contribute to the investment debate through constructive challenge.
- Highlight relevant “news” on fundamentals – relative to our house view, consensus expectations or what is implicit in market pricing – to the investment teams
- Propose investment strategies and ideas to investment teams.
- Communicate “house” view to investment teams and the wider business.
- Communicate investment views and strategies arising from this macroeconomic research to investment teams only, for use as an input into their investment decision-making.
- Communicate “house” view and market view of the investment teams to external clients, prospects and consultants.
- Contribute to the strengthening of our investment culture by promoting collaboration between investment teams, exchanging information, ideas and research, fostering internal investment debate, constructive challenge and actively participating in investment meetings.
- Collaborate with colleagues working in research roles elsewhere in the firm to share insights and enhance research offering to investment teams
- Promote thought leadership through publishing research.
- Contribute to raising BNP Paribas AM’s profile through marketing, client events, media contact, industry conferences, publishing opinion pieces and research
- Promote our brand through the publication of thought leadership pieces and other research papers.
Essential skills/competencies (TEchnical / behavioural / leadership)
- Strong econometric and analytical skills, experience of economic modelling
- Developed industry knowledge, strong understanding of financial markets
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Presence and stature to interface with the most demanding institutional audiences
- Ability to influence and convince
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Acts in full compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, Company policies and codes of conduct.
- Shows belief in own ability to deliver success for the business, combined with a personal commitment to the organisation.
- Builds, maintains and acts on strong relationships with internal and external clients
- Maintains positive and productive working relationships, promotes collaborative teamwork. Team player
- Interpersonal understanding – treats everyone with dignity, honesty and respect. Shows high level of self-awareness, understands impact of own behaviour on others, and upholds the highest standards of company values/ practice.
- Demonstrates personal drive and energy.
- Ability to quickly understand problems, articulate them and offer solutions.
- Demonstrates cultural awareness and organisational sensitivity.
- Fluency in written and spoken English language.
- Strong international orientation.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Degree in Economics, Econometrics or Finance
- Experience in an economist role, covering US (essential)
- Strong preference for experience working within a high profile policy institution
Closing Date: 20 October 2019