We currently have an exciting opportunity for vacancy for a Policy Manager to join our organisation. Here at CCW we support thousands of customers with complaints they have been unable to resolve directly with their water company and carry out research on a wide range of water issues and publish our findings to influence the future direction of the industry that benefits consumers. Our Committees in England and Wales and team of Consumer Advocates represent consumer interests to a wide range of stakeholders, including Government, regulators and water companies.
The role within CCW’s Policy and Research team is responsible for leading on specific policy areas, keeping up to date with developments in those areas, and proposing new policy positions for CCW. They will also play a leading role in developing and delivering our work programmes and campaigns.
The successful candidate will be able to use their experience of representing customer’s interests in the development of policy along with their ability to analyse evidence, develop policy solutions, make recommendations and deliver agreed strategy in order to deliver our mission to ensure people are well-informed, treated fairly and have confidence in their water services
In exchange, we’ll offer you the chance to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic organisation and receive attractive benefits including a Civil Service pension and flexible working options.
The purpose of this role is to lead the day-to-day engagement with the water company/ies allocated to the post. The post holder is responsible for leading on specific policy areas, keeping up to date with developments in those areas, and proposing new policy positions for CCW. They will also play leading role in developing and delivering our work programmes and campaigns.
Leading company engagement
Policy managers will have a company / companies assigned to them. They will be the first point of contact within CCW for the company / companies on a day-to-day basis. They will be expected to:
- Confidently deal with company staff at all levels, through building constructive working relationships.
- Lead regular company interactions. Be the main liaison point for information exchange (formal and informal) between CCW and companies.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of company policies, operations and performance.
- Provide challenge to company performance, policies and practices in order to influence and secure positive change for consumers
- Escalate and document company issues following the agreed processes and timescales.
- Have excellent relationships with their company counterpart in Consumer Relations Team and ensure both sides are up to date with relevant information
- Influence the price review throughout the development of company business plans, providing robust analysis of Ofwat’s determination for their allocated companies.
Policy Development and Implementation
The post holder will lead on at least one policy area. The post holder will understand the current policy landscape for their area(s) and ensure that CCW has policies that are up-to-date and promote consumers’ best interests. In addition they will:
- Support the development and delivery of CCW’s Forward Work Programme commitments
- Use evidence gathered from companies, and CCW research to input into CCW’s policy development to ensure our positions reflect current challenges
- Provide leadership and strategic input in all matters relating to their lead policy area(s), and positively contribute to wider policy development.
- Provide relevant policy input into the price review in order to influence company business plans and provide robust analysis of Ofwat’s determinations relating to their lead policy areas.
- Ensure that the Policy Handbook is kept up to date on a continuous basis, and both the Work Progress Report and the Policy Managers notes are updated to a high standard on a monthly basis.
Influencing the agenda
- Work with partner organisations on policy projects of mutual benefit
- Deliver consultation responses from allocated water companies and related to policy areas of responsibility.
- Write relevant Executive Team / Board papers on areas of responsibility, where key decisions require sign off.
- Identify and share best practice both externally and internally
- Respond to requests for expert briefing and information from senior internal and external stakeholders (eg Executive or Defra) as required
- Contribute to messages for all media activity for lead areas of work, speaking at conferences and to the media on relevant policy or company issues.
- Be an active and effective member of the Policy and Research Team, contributing to all discussions/decisions; taking the lead in matters relating to their company and policy area
- Proposing and helping to develop new campaigns through applying evidence from water companies, policy knowledge and the experience of companies and water consumers.
- Contributing to the delivery phase of campaigns, taking the lead in relevant areas.
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships, developing partnerships and joint working as necessary
- Represent CCW in meetings, on panels and at conferences
Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work. Support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
Carry out other duties within the scope of the role as required by the Head of Company Engagement/ Head of Business Customers/Head of Policy Delivery
- An understanding of consumer issues within the water industry and/or other utilities or essential services.
- Experience of providing a customer perspective and representing customer’s interests in the development of policy
- Experience of building and maintaining good relationships with stakeholders
- Ability to analyse evidence, developing policy solutions, make recommendations and deliver agreed strategy.
- Experience of holding challenging conversations and holding people to account at different levels within a business
- Professional image.
- Experience of liaising with internal and external stakeholders in the process of monitoring and addressing issues.
- Confident communicator in meetings, presentations and public forums.
- Experience of delivering critical feedback in a consultative manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Articulate, persuasive and influential.
- Ability to communicate at all levels.
- Strong analytical skills
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- Research & policy development skills.
- Presentation skills.
- IT Skills
- Well organised able to work to tight deadlines and manage conflicting priorities.
- Sound judgement and decisive.
- Self-motivated – require little supervision.
- Willing to take responsibility.
- Team player with ‘can do’ attitude.
- Willing to travel around England and Wales.
- Flexibility to work occasionally outside normal office hours.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 9th January 2023