We have an opportunity for a junior economist to support a range of exciting and innovative environmental policy projects within our Policy, Strategy and Economics Practice as well as working across the business to provide economics support to other teams. We are one of Europe’s leading consultancies supporting national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies such as the Asian Development Bank and World Bank in the development, implementation and appraisal of environmental policy.Economic analysis is a critical component of the services we provide. You will be involved in policy impact assessments, requiring skills in cost-benefit analysis, socio-economic analysis, feasibility assessment and evaluation. We expect you to understand the processes for development of public policy and the methods for assessing the social, environmental and economic impacts of policies and measures.The role will support a diverse range of areas including air quality and emissions, industrial pollution control, water, climate change adaptation and mitigation, energy, waste and resource efficiency, agriculture and chemicals management. In response to our recent successes and growing demand for economics support from across the business we are growing our team to support delivery and further expansion.
As a Junior Economist, you will support the delivery of technical projects, managing your time across several projects and business areas. You will be responsible for the delivery of tasks assigned to you, meeting time, cost and quality requirements, to ensure client satisfaction.
Specific tasks are likely to include supporting the preparation of proposals to win new contracts, through researching and analysing information and data, to contributing to reports that are delivered to clients. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work, and will work alongside other consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs. We will provide close mentoring support and ongoing personal development to ensure you settle into the company and get the opportunities to progress.
Key Competencies and Experience
We welcome applications from recent graduates but preference will be given to those with relevant work experience in environmental consultancy, Government or academic research/think tanks.
Educated to Master’s degree level:
- Studies could be a combination of economics, engineering and science and/or environment with a significant focus on economics.
- An understanding of European and/or international environmental policy issues, gained during studies or work experience
- Experience in a consultancy or in a customer facing commercial setting.
- Demonstrable experience in some of the following:
- Policy cycle (ex ante impact assessment of policies and regulations; policy development and implementation, ex post evaluation of policies and programmes)
- Tools and methods: survey design and execution, market analysis, cost-benefit analysis; data-collection, validation and analysis; stakeholder consultation
Skills and Behaviours
- Team working skills
- Problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Accurate and attentive to detail
- Excellent written and spoken English; fluency in other European languages will be an advantage.
- Effective oral and written communication, including concise and precise report writing.
- Strong Microsoft Excel experience, and basic presentation skills.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://apply.ricardo.com/vacancies/735/apply/ →